Black Hawks Recap: Home Hawks Win Split Session
Home teams won on Saturday, August 22, 2015 as the Waterloo Black Hawks and Madison Capitols met for split squad exhibition scrimmages.
Jonathan Evans scored twice – once during the first period and once during the second – in Waterloo, where the Black Hawks prevailed, 5-4. The game was tied 4-4 after 40 minutes; Hunter Luhmann delivered the decisive goal, putting back a rebound chance at 9:05 of the final frame. Ronnie Hein and Liam Pecararo each found the net during Waterloo’s three-goal opening period.
Eetu Selanne scored twice for the Capitols, who also received offense from Haralds Egle and Charlie Gerard.
In net, Cale Morris entered the game midway through the second period and stopped all 11 shots he faced for the victory.
The offense was unleashed in Madison, where the Capitols won an 8-7 shootout decision. Brandon Schultz and David Cotton recorded two goals and three assists apiece for Waterloo. Both of Schultz’s scores came during the latter half of the third period to bring the Hawks back from a 7-5 deficit before the end of regulation. William Conley also scored twice for Waterloo.
The Capitols received two goals from a trio of players: Alec Broetzman, Sam McCormick, and Ryan Lohin. All three added shootout goals, giving Madison the tie-breaker, 3-2.
The Black Hawks begin the formal exhibition schedule on the road against the Des Moines Buccaneers on Tuesday, September 8th. The Black Hawks will host the first ever Iowa Classic September 17-19 at Young Arena.
WATERLOO BLACK HAWKS
AUGUST 22, 2015
GOALS BY PERIODS:
- Madison – 2 2 0 - 4 Total
- Waterloo – 3 1 1 - 5 Total
SHOTS ON GOAL:
- Madison – 7 6 8 - 21
- Waterloo – 18 16 11 - 45
- Madison 2/5
- Waterloo 0/5
- First Period – 1. WAT Ronnie Hein (Liam Pecararo, Nick Swaney) 1:17; 2. MAD Haralds Egle (Charlie Gerard, Tony Stillwell) PP 4:11; 3. MAD Eetu Selanne (Egle) 9:02; WAT Jonathan Evans (Ryley Risling) 15:38; 5. WAT Pecararo (Patrik Demel) 19:12.
- Second Period – 6. MAD Gerard (una) PP 3:39; 7. WAT Evans (Brandon Kruse) 4:13; MAD Selane (Egle) 9:06.
- Third Period – 9. WAT Hunter Luhmann (Risling, Shane Bowers) 9:05.
- MADISON: Kyle Madore 24/28; Garrett Metcalf 16/17.
- WATERLOO: David Fessenden 6/10; Cale Morris 11/11.
- Ref. Andrew Bruggeman; Lines Ian McCambridge, Elliot Bucholz.