Black Hawks Score 2 Late to Force Overtime
In the end, the Muskegon Lumberjacks came away with a 3-2 shootout win at Young Arena.
Trailing 2-0, Ben Newhouse converted a power play opportunity, sending a flying puck into the net at 8:25. Then Shane Bowers provided the equalizer near five minutes later, speeding behind the Lumberjack defense and cutting across the slot before sliding a low shot under goalie Joey Daccord.
However, Daccord ultimately picked up the win with 28 saves, and the Black Hawks were unable to convert on five shootout chances against him. The lone shootout goal came from Muskegon defenseman Carson Vance, who lifted a shot to the top corner during the fifth round of the tie-breaker.
The only goal of the first period had come as the Lumberjacks capitalized on a turnover at 5:59. Dominick Sacco swiped the puck and put it on net; Cale Morris stopped the chance, but Sacco recovered his own rebound and scored on the second try.
Muskegon added a late second period goal and extended their margin despite a 17-7 edge in chances during the period for the Hawks. With 24.9 seconds remaining before intermission, Jake Coleman sped up right wing, cut to the net, and lifted a shot under the crossbar for a crucial insurance goal.
The Black Hawks have a week off before a tilt with the Fargo Force Saturday, October 3. The first 1,000 fans in attendance for the 7:05 matchup will receive a 2015/16 schedule poster presented by Karen’s Print Rite. For tickets, visit waterlooblackhawks.com or call the Domino’s Black Hawks Box Office at 319.291.7680.
Contributed By: Tim Harwood (Black Hawks Media Relations)
WATERLOO BLACK HAWKS
vs. MUSKEGON LUMBERJACKS
SEPTEMBER 26, 2015
GOALS: By Period
- Muskegon: 1 1 0 0 TOTAL = 3 (includes shootout awarded goal)
- Waterloo: 0 0 2 0 TOTAL = 2
- Goals: 1, Muskegon, Sacco, 5:59
- Penalties: Muskegon, Hamilton (hooking), 0:27; Waterloo, Rossini (interference), 12:08.
- Goals: 2, Muskegon, Coleman 1 (DeMontis), 19:35.
- Penalties: Muskegon, - DeMontis (cross checking), 2:31; DiGrande (kneeing), 8:29; Waterloo - Moise (head contact), 19:57.
- Goals: Waterloo, Newhouse 1 (Davies, Bowers), 8:25 (PP); Bowers 2 (Stillwell, Cotton), 12:13.
- Penalties: Muskegon, Hamilton (major-head contact, game misconduct), 5:16; Graber (cross checking), 13:18. Waterloo, Hein (roughing), 5:16; Wait (tripping), 18:17.
1ST OT PERIOD:
- Goals: None
- Penalties: None
- Goals: Muskegon 1 (Graber NG, Palecco NG, Paulovic NG%2; Waterloo 0.