The Waterloo Black Hawks used three weekend wins to vault up the United State Hockey League standings. The Black Hawks jumped up from a sixth place tie in the USHL Western Conference up to within one point of third place.

The first win came Friday on the road with a 5-2 win over the Sioux Falls Stampede. On Saturday, The same two teams met in Waterloo, and the Black Hawks took the 4-1 win. On Sunday afternoon, Waterloo grabbed their third win of the weekend thanks to a 5-2 road victory against the Sioux City Musketeers.

Captain Ronnie Hein recorded the first goal of the afternoon 3:06 into the first period, but had to leave the game at the same point. Hein redirected a Nick Swaney pass into the net before careening into the goalpost. Initially ruled “no goal,” the call was changed after a video review.

Shane Bowers’ puck handling made the score 2-0. Steering behind then net, then into the left circle, Bowers fed the disc into the crease where it deflected into the net off a defender. Sioux City drew within one on a power play less than a minute later. When the puck came out of the right wing corner, Jake Ryczek was left one-on-one against Cale Morris and snapped a wrist shot between the pipes.

With 1:29 left before intermission, the Hawks’ Liam Pecararo navigated through traffic to the net to reestablish a two-goal lead. Pecararo baited goalie Cam Gornet into lunging to his right; the Hawks’ forward then pulled the puck to his backhand and slipped it in.

Sioux City scored the only goal of the second, 1:18 into the period.  Mitch Fossier stepped into the zone and wristed a shot off the crossbar, down, and in.

Bowers firmed the Black Hawks lead 9:36 into the third period, completing a pretty give-and-go passing play with Marshall Moise at top speed. David Cotton added the first Hawks shorthanded goal of the season with 2:31 to play, from his own zone into an empty net.

NEXT UP: The Black Hawks complete a sequence of six games against Western Conference opponents by visiting the Des Moines Buccaneers Friday.