Investigators are trying to determine what caused the death of former Iowa football star Tyler Sash.

The ex-safety, who won a Super Bowl with the New York Giants, was found at his home in Oskaloosa by a family member who came to walk his dog Tuesday morning (Sept. 8, 2015). He was 27.

“We are all very saddened to hear about the untimely loss of Tyler,” said Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz. “It is always so difficult when it involves someone this young. Our heartfelt condolences and prayers go out to Tyler’s family during this extremely difficult time – and we want them to know they are not in this alone."

News of Sash's death was first reported by Major news organizations, such as the New York Post, later confirmed the report.

Courtesy: David Purdy - Getty Images Sports

Sash started 37 games for the Hawkeyes from 2007-10, earning first-team All-Big Ten honors as a senior. At the time he left the program, Sash was fourth all-time in interception return yardage in the Big Ten Conference, and his 13 picks were fifth-best in school history.

Sash recorded six interceptions in 2009, two shy of the school record for interceptions in a season. His 86-yard touchdown return against Indiana ranks as fifth longest interception return in school history. In a game against Iowa State that season, Sash recorded three interceptions to earn another Hawkeye record.

He set Iowa bowl records for longest return (48 yards) and interception return yards (94) in Iowa’s 2009 Outback Bowl win over South Carolina. He concluded his Iowa career with 217 tackles.

"The commitment, passion, and excitement that Tyler brought to football and to life will always endear him to Hawkeye coaches, teammates, and fans," Ferentz said. "He touched our hearts in many ways and will be missed by all of us.”

In 2011, Sash decided to forgo his senior season at Iowa to make himself eligible for the NFL Draft. He was selected in the sixth round by the New York Giants and was a member of the Super Bowl XLVI (46) championship squad.

Sash played a combined 23 games with the Giants in 2011 and 2012 before being cut on Aug. 31, 2013.

The Oskaloosa native was suspended for the first four games of the 2012 season for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances. Sash said he took Adderall not knowing it was banned.

In 2014, he was arrested for public intoxication in Iowa after trying to evade police officers on a scooter.

According to the Associated Press, Sash's death is being investigated by Oskaloosa police and John Kraemer, the director of forensic operations for the state medical examiner. An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday morning.

Funeral arrangements are pending.