Wroten & Rust Grabs Win at Marshalltown Speedway
Marshalltown Speedway found new faces in Victory Lane on Friday, July 29, 2016 in the the Modified and Hobby Stock classes.
It was Josh May grabbing another win in the Mod Lite 12-lap feature. May snatched the lead from Travis Stensland on lap seven and from there on, held it to the checkers. Stensland finished in second place, Randy Bryan started seventh and finished third, fourth was eight place starter Cory Sauerman, and Bryan Zehm was fifth. This was May's third win of the point's season.
The 18-lap IMCA Northern SportMod A main went to Jared VanDeest. Tenth place starter VanDeest made the topside work to his advantage, passing Sam Wieben at lap eleven on his way to his sixth win of the season. Seventh place starter, Travis Peterson came home in second, Wieben started eighth and finished third, Shawn Cooney, who had earlier made an attempt to pass leader VanDeest only to loose grip and fall back, finished fourth, and veteran racer Bill Hildreth rounded out the top five. VanDeest added to his point lead at the track with the win.
A new winner came from the IMCA Hobby Stock class when Leah Wroten snatched her first victory at Marshalltown. Wroten, who started ninth, outran point leader Eric Stanton to grab the trophy. Following second place Stanton, was Gene Nicklas in third, fourth went to eleventh place starter, John Watson, and Tyson Overton was fifth. This was the first time Wroten had ever won at the Marshalltown Speedway.
It was an exciting contest in the 20-lap IMCA Stock Car feature. Steve Meyer took the helm from Jeff Wollam at lap three and then Donovan Smith joined in to make it a three-car battle for the lead. The three ran three-wide for several laps. Smith was finally able to slip under Meyer with just two laps remaining to establish the lead, and then kept it to the checkers. Meyer finished as the runner up, Wollam was third, and Tyler Pickett and Kyle Everts completed the top five. This was Smith's fourth win of the season.
The night's finale was 20-laps of IMCA Modified action. Jake Strayer took command from Gatlin Leytham on lap six but soon had Joel Rust to contend with. Rust, who started eighth, made the move around the topside of Strayer, taking the lead at lap eight. Rust then held that top spot to the checkers flying, securing the win. Strayer finished second, third went to eleventh place starter, Jacob Murray, Jimmy Gustin started fourteenth and finished fourth, and Jenae Gustin was fifth. Rust won the Hawkeye Dirt Tour race back onJune 7, but this was his first regular season win at Marshalltown in 2016.
Racing continues next Friday night, when the IMCA Late Models will start their five week appearance at the track. The green flag drops at 7:30.
Contributed By: Jerry Vansickel
WEEKLY RACING SERIES
JULY 29, 2016
IMCA Hobby Stocks - A MAIN:
1. Leah Wroten (Independence, IA), 2. Eric Stanton (Carlisle, Ia), 3. Eugene Nicklas (Grinnell, IA), 4. John Watson (Des Moines, Ia), 5. Tyson Overton (Carlisle, IA), 6. Gary Pfantz (State Center, IA), 7. Luke Bird (Winthrop, IA), 8. Jack Phillips (Mitchellville, IA), 9. Eric Knutson (Grimes, IA), 10. Brandon Pitts (Ames, IA), 11. Mitchell Thomas (Marshalltown, IA), 12. Andy Peck (Newton, Ia), 13. Brett Vanous (Quasqueton, IA), 14. Dillon Million (Marshalltown, IA), 15. Preston Merical (Collins, IA), 16. Travis Merical (Marshalltown, IA), 17. Justin Lovig (Clemons, IA).
IMCA Modifieds - A MAIN:
1. Joel Rust (Grundy Center, Ia), 2. Jake Strayer (Newton, IA), 3. Jacob Murray (Hartford, IA), 4. Jimmy Gustin (Marshalltown, IA), 5. Jenae Gustin (Marshalltown , Ia), 6. Tim Ward (, AZ), 7. Ronn Lauritzen (Jesup, IA), 8. Tom Berry (Medford, OR), 9. Racer Hulin (Laurel, ia), 10. Rod Clement (Rhodes, IA), 11. Tyler Gross (Ankeny, IA), 12. Gatlin Leytham (Ames, IA), 13. Brandon Leeman (Roland, IA), 14. Trent Jackson (Marshalltown, IA), 15. Scott Simatovich (State Center, IA), 16. Andrew Kinser (Marshalltown, IA), 17. Brett Ladehoff (Marshalltown, IA), 18. Austin Emry (Kellogg, IA), 19. Scott Davis (Madrid, IA), 20. Zach Rawlins (Newton, IA), 21. Eric Elliott (Boone, IA), 22. Shawn Ritter (Keystone, Ia).
IMCA SportMods - A MAIN:
1. Jared VanDeest (Holland, Ia), 2. Travis Peterson (Gladbrook, Ia), 3. Sam Wieben (Dysart, Ia), 4. Shawn Cooney (Des Moines, IA), 5. Bill Hildreth (, IA), 6. Cory Rose (Boone, IA), 7. Tom Rawlins (Kellogg, IA), 8. Jacob Salisbury (Dunkerton, IA), 9. Ryan King (Montour, IA), 10. Frank Packer (Sydney, AU), 11. D.J. Robinson (Ankeny, Ia), 12. Tyler Inman (Altoona, IA), 13. Jami Ritter (Keystone, Ia), 14. Lee Becker (Belle Plaine, IA), 15. Eric Larson (Holland, Ia), 16. Ethan Braaksma (Newton, IA), 17. Curt Hilmer (Dysart, IA), 18. Kyle Olson (Cedar Rapids, IA), 19. Neil Follett (Conrad, IA), 20. Eric Flander (Pella, IA), 21. Dusty Masolini (Des Moines, IA), 22. Hunter Longnecker (Boone, IA), 23. Brandon Tharp (Center Point, IA).
IMCA Stock Cars - A MAIN:
1. Donavon Smith (Lake City, ia), 2. Steve Meyer (Grundy Center, IA), 3. Jeff Wollam (Marshalltown, IA), 4. Tyler Pickett (Boxhom, IA), 5. Kyle Everts (Holland, IA), 6. Kevin Rose (Waterloo, IA), 7. Dave Atcher (Laurel, IA), 8. Jared Daggett (Marshalltown, IA), 9. Michael Jaennette (Kellogg, IA), 10. Gary Bass (Des Moines, IA), 11. Chris Wilse (Huxley, IA), 12. Doug Russell (Conrad, Ia), 13. Nate Thelen (Kellogg, IA), 14. Kevin Balmer (Garwin, Ia), 15. Russel Damme (Waterloo, IA), 16. Curt Balmer (Green Mountain, IA), 17. Mike Galli (Urbana, IA), 18. Robert Engelkes (Dike, IA), 19. Dave Mehmen (Baxter, IA), 20. Chris Luloff (Independence, IA), 21. Jon Braathun (Story City, IA).
Mod Lites - A MAIN:
1. Josh May (De Soto, IA), 2. Travis Stensland (Nevada, Ia), 3. Randy Bryan (Ames, IA), 4. Cory Sauerman (Grimes, IA), 5. Bryan Zehm (Ames, IA), 6. Mike Morrill (Altoona, IA), 7. Joe Glick (Des Moines, Ia), 8. Kevin Grisham (Ogden, IA), 9. Erin Turner (Newton, IA), 10. Angelo Montgonery (Goldfield, IA), 11. Larry Sorenson (Ames, IA), 12. Chelsea May (Desoto, IA), 13. Mark Riney (Des Moines, IA).