Response Centers Opening In Cedar Falls, Waverly
The American Red Cross and Salvation Army continue to help people affected by flooding in northeast Iowa.
The organizations are jointly opening Community Resource Centers, where victims can get information on the recovery process and the resources available to them. Red Cross caseworkers will be available to help people create personal recovery plans, navigate paperwork, and locate assistance from state and local organizations. Clean-up supply kits will also be available, along with food and water.
Community Response Center will be open at the following locations and times:
- CEDAR FALLS: Fire Station No. 2 - 722 W. Lone Tree Road
Tues., Oct. 4, 2016 - 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Wed., Oct. 5, 2016 - 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- WAVERLY: Waverly Civic Center - 200 1st Street NE
Thurs., Oct. 6, 2016 - 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Fri., Oct. 7, 2016 - 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Red Cross healthcare workers will also be at the Community Response Center to help with minor medical needs, and trained mental health workers will be available to provide emotional support and coping strategies.
The Red Cross has mobilized nearly 200 trained disaster responders from across Iowa and across the country. They are meeting one-on-one with people who need additional support to create recovery plans, navigate paperwork and locate help from other agencies.
Red Cross workers have served more than 20,000 meals and snacks and handed out more than more than 3,600 relief items such as clean-up kits and toiletries. The clean-up kits include bleach, shovels, rakes and gloves.
Residents in need of clean-up kits can pick them up at the following locations:
BLACK HAWK COUNTY:
- CEDAR FALLS: Living Water Church of the Nazarene -1210 W. Lone Tree Rd
- WATERLOO: Fire Station No. 1 - 425 E. 3rd Street (corner of Franklin St.)
BLACK HAWK & BREMER COUNTIES:
- JANESVILLE: Fire Department - 227 Main St.
- PLAINFIELD: Fire Department - 150th St.
- CLARKSVILLE: St. John’s Lutheran Church - 204 N. Washington St.
- GREENE: City Hall - 123 N. 2nd St.
- CHARLES CITY: "Neighbors Across the Landing" Trailer - 5th Ave. and C St.
Those needing Red Cross assistance can call (515) 243-7681.
Another resource for those in need is United Way 2-1-1. It is available for individuals in need of information or assistance. Unfortunately, some cell phone carriers and VOIPs do not recognize the short code 211. If you are unable to use the short code, please call 319-739-4211 or 1-866-469-2211.