Friday College Basketball & Wrestling (Nov 14)
In action Friday, Noveber 14, 2014: Iowa & ISU mens basketball dominate in openers, Iowa womens basketball sets a record, Iowa State Cyclones wrestling takes two, and UNI Panthers womens basketball.
IOWA HAWKEYES MENS BASKETBALL: Wins Opener
Senior Aaron White set the tone early for the No. 25 University of Iowa men's basketball team in its season-opening 90-56 victory over Hampton on Friday night in a 2K Classic contest on Mediacom Court inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
University of Iowa head men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery has signed a one-year extension to his current contract. The agreement was announced today by UI Director of Athletics Gary Barta.
IOWA STATE MENS BASKETBALL: Wins Opener
Georges Niang led five Cyclones in double figure scoring behind a career-high 30 points to pace No. 14 Iowa State (1-0) to a 93-82 win over Oakland (0-1) Friday night in Hilton Coliseum. Bryce Dejean-Jones (20), Dustin Hogue (15), Monte’ Morris (14) and Naz Long (10) also posted double-digit scoring efforts, as the Cyclones won their 17th-straight season-opener.
IOWA STATE WRESTLING: Dominate in Duels
The Iowa State wrestling team (2-0, 0-0 Big 12) opened the 2014-15 dual season with a bang, picking up two commanding victories against Utah Valley (0-2, 0-0 WWC) and Boise State (1-1, 0-0 PAC 12). The Cyclones won the first matchup against Utah Valley 39-4 and the second against Boise State by a score of 36-8.
Iowa State - Utah Valley Match-by-Match
- 125: Kyle Larson (ISU) vs. Chasen Tolbert (UVU) maj. dec. Kyle Larson (ISU), 9-0.
- 133: Earl Hall (ISU) WBF Jade Rauser (UVU), x:xx.
- 141: John Meeks (ISU) dec. Matthew Ontiveros (UVU), 12-9.
- 149: Gabe Moreno (ISU) dec. Trevor Wilson (UVU), 8-4.
- 157: Luke Goettl (ISU) dec. Logan Addis (UVU), 7-2.
- 165: Michael Moreno (ISU) tech-fall Dalton Harmon (UVU), 17-2.
- 174: Tanner Weatherman (ISU) maj. dec. Ethan Smith (UVU), 11-3.
- 184: Lelund Weatherspoon (ISU) WBF Ross Taylor (UVU), 6:24
- 197: Kyven Gadson (ISU) WBF Derek Thomas (UVU), 3:49.
- 285: Quean Smith (ISU) dec. Jordan Karst (UVU), 5-4
Iowa State - Boise State Match-by-Match
- 125: Kyle Larson (ISU) FF Carson Kuhn (BSU).
- 133: Earl Hall (ISU) maj. dec. Michael Cook (BSU), 13-4.
- 141: Georgan Martinez (BSU) dec. John Meeks (ISU) 9-5, (1:03 RT)
- 149: Gabe Moreno (ISU) dec. Chris Castillo (BSU), 6-5.
- 157: Luke Goettl (ISU) vs. Steven Hernandez (BSU) WBF Luke Goettl (ISU), 1:13.
- 165: Michael Moreno (ISU) WBF Holden Packard (BSU), 1:53.
- 174: Tanner Weatherman (ISU) tech-fall Austin Dewey (BSU), 18-3.
- 184: Lelund Weatherspoon (ISU) dec. Cody Dixon (BSU), 3-1.
- 197: Kyven Gadson (ISU) WBF Xavier Callejas (BSU), 4:45.
- 285: Quean Smith (ISU) dec. Gaylen Edmo (BSU), 6-3.
IOWA HAWKEYES WOMENS BASKETBALL: Sets Record During Win
The record for points in a game by a University of Iowa women's basketball team fell Friday during a 107-56 season opening victory against South Carolina Upstate on Mediacom Court inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena. The old record was 106 against North Carolina in 1990 and Northern Iowa in 1978
UNI WOMEN BASKETBALL:
The University of Northern Iowa women’s basketball team topped the Tulsa Golden Hurricane, picking up a 69-66 road win for its season opener. Madison Weekly led the Panthers with a career-high 26 points, shooting 9-of-14 from the field and 5-of-6 from the arc. Jen Keitel added a double-double to the UNI stat line, notching 16 points and 11 boards. Rounding out UNI’s double-digit scorers was Amber Sorenson with 15 points and a career-high nine rebounds. The Panthers will return to action Tuesday, Nov. 18 when they travel to take on Akron. The game will start at 9:30 a.m. CT.