No. 8 Iowa State Wrestling Defeats Oklahoma, 26-18
The No. 8 Iowa State wrestling team (7-2, 1-1 Big 12) defeated Oklahoma (6-6, 1-2 Big 12) 26-18 on Saturday, January 31, 2015. ISU’s winning efforts were propelled by four bonus-point victories, including two pins.
No. 6 Earl Hall was pitted against No. 2 Cody Brewer in the second match of the dual. Brewer got in on a single leg on Hall, and it looked like he’d go up 2-0 early in the match. However, Hall ran through Brewer’s grasp, and was able to bring Brewer to his back and secure a pin in 1:02. The fall marked the fourth top-10 opponent Hall has defeated in the New Year.
Up next for the Cyclones was Dante Rodriguez at 141. He also secured bonus points for Iowa State with a 17-6 major decision over Oklahoma’s Trae Blackwell. Rodriguez recorded five takedowns, a two-point near-fall and a three-point near-fall in his match. The freshman now has 11 bonus-point victories on the year.
No. 14 Gabe Moreno and No. 4 Michael Moreno also notched victories for the Iowa Staters at their respective weight classes. G. Moreno grabbed three takedowns en route to his 9-4 decision over Shayne Tucker.
M. Moreno defeated Oklahoma’s Clark Glass via a 5-0 decision. An escape, three-point near-fall and 1:46 of ride time lifted Moreno to victory in the 165 bout.
At 184, No. 15 Lelund Weatherspoon added more bonus-points for the Cyclones in his 8-0 major decision over Brooks Climmons. Weatherspoon got out to an early 4-0 lead with a first-period takedown and two-point near-fall. He added another takedown in the second period. An escape to begin the third period and 2:33 of ride time gave the Cyclone the 8-0 major decision.
Iowa State’s No. 2 Kyven Gadson closed the door on the Sooners with a third period pin over Andrew Dixon. Gadson led 5-2 in the third period before bringing Nixon to his back and then eventually securing the fall in 5:58.
NEXT UP: Iowa State will hit the road again next weekend as they wrestle at West Virginia Saturday, at 5 p.m. CST.
MATCH RESULTS: Iowa State 26, Oklahoma 18
- 125: Ryan Millhof (OU) dec. Kyle Larson (ISU), 3-2.
- 133: Earl Hall (ISU) fall. Cody Brewer (OU), 1:02.
- 141: Dante Rodriguez (ISU) maj. dec. Trae Blackwell (OU), 17-6. (2:15 RT)
- 149: Gabe Moreno (ISU) dec. Shayne Tucker (OU), 9-4. (2:43 RT)
- 157: Justin DeAngelis (OU) fall. Luke Goettl (ISU), 6:37.
- 165: Michael Moreno (ISU) dec. Clark Glass (OU), 5-0. (2:43 RT
- 174: Matt Reed (OU) dec. Tanner Weatherman (ISU), 4-3.
- 184: Lelund Weatherspoon (ISU) maj. dec. Brooks Climmons (OU), 8-0. (2:33 RT)
- 197: Kyven Gadson (ISU) fall. Andrew Dixon (OU), 5:58.
- 285: Ross Larson (OU) fall. Quean Smith (ISU), 4:56.