Ohio Edges Out UNI Wrestling, 20-18
UNI wrestling grabbed bonus points at two weights and won half the matches, but the Panthers were edged out by Ohio Friday, February 6, 2015, 20-18.
Blaize Cabell won his 10th consecutive match with a major decision over Jesse Webb, 21-8. Cabell had nine takedowns and earned riding time. All eight of Webb’s points came from escapes, and he was dinged with a stalling penalty. Cabell stays perfect in dual competition improving to 13-0 overall and 6-0 in the MAC.
All-American Dylan Peters, 125 pounds, was the only other Panther to earn bonus points with his tech fall over Zak Hassan, winning 22-7 in 6 minutes, 16 seconds.
Cooper Moore, 165 pounds, also stayed perfect in dual competition with a 7-1 decision over Harrison Hightower. Moore improves to 9-0 in duals and 6-0 in the MAC.
Jarrett Jensen, 157 pounds, put the Panthers on the board first and avenged a loss from last year to Spartak Chino by winning 5-3. After a scoreless first period, Chino escaped and was ahead 1-0 to start the third. Chino was warned for stalling, and Jensen tied up the score with an escape. A final takedown in the third period won the match for Jensen.
Trailing by five team points, the final bout came down to Jake Hodges at 141 pounds. Hodges gave up a takedown to Joel Shump but tied up the score 2-2 with a reversal in the first period. Shump would slip ahead with an escape in the second, but Hodges regained the lead with a takedown and continued to build on his points in the third period with a reversal, two takedowns and riding time to win 11-6.
The Panthers fall to 6-7 overall and 3-3 in the MAC. Kent State improves to 8-3 overall and 4-3 in the MAC.
NEXT UP: UNI will head to Kent State Sunday for its last MAC dual on the road. The Golden Flashes will stream the dual live starting at noon CT: http://www.kentstatesports.com/watch/?Live=33
The Panthers return home for its final MAC dual against Old Dominion at 7 p.m. Feb. 20.
OHIO 20, UNI 18 (NCAA rankings):
- 149 - #7 Tywan Claxton (Ohio) dec. #32 Gunnar Wolfensperger (UNI) 8-3
- 157 - Jarrett Jensen (UNI) dec. #29 Spartak Chino (Ohio) 5-3
- 165 - #11 Cooper Moore (UNI) dec. #23 Harrison Hightower (Ohio) 7-1
- 174 - #8 Cody Walters (Ohio) dec. Curt Maas (UNI) 3-0
- 184 - Andrew Romanchik (Ohio) maj. dec. #30 Cody Caldwell (UNI) 10-2
- 197 - #17 Phillip Wellington (Ohio) maj. dec. #30 Basil Minto (UNI) 10-0
- 285 - #10 Blaize Cabell (UNI) maj. dec. Jesse Webb (Ohio) 21-8
- 125 - #5 Dylan Peters (UNI) tech fall Zak Hassan (Ohio) 22-7 (6:16)
- 133 - Kagan Squire (Ohio) pinned Leighton Gaul (UNI) 4:05
- 141 - Jake Hodges (UNI) dec. Joel Shump (Ohio) 11-6