[PHOTOS] My “Jeopardy!” Audition
Being on a game show has always been one of my lifelong dreams. But I never thought it could ACTUALLY happen.
I received an email about a month ago telling me that I'd been selected to try out for Jeopardy! Of course, I didn't believe it until I re-read it about seven more times. I honestly thought someone was playing an April Fool's prank on me.
But it was the real deal! So the girlfriend and I made the trip up to the Twin Cities this weekend for the big audition. I try to not get nervous when opportunities like this come up but HOLY CRAP I COULD BE ON NATIONAL TELEVISION. This isn't some local public access trivia show. This is Jeopardy! This is the big time!
There were so many questions leading up to the big day--What should I wear? What should I say? What categories should I study? How many people will be in the room with me? Will Alex Trebek be there? (Okay...I didn't REALLY think he would be, but still...)
So...here's what ACTUALLY happened:
- 20 of us were selected. We introduced ourselves and gave some quick background information.
- We began by taking a 50-question written test.
- We took a 10-minute break (because that ish was STRESSFUL).
- Contestants were called up three at a time to play a short, simulated version of the game to get a handle on the speed of the game and how to use the signaling device.
- Each of us was interviewed on camera and asked about or jobs/hobbies/interests and what we'd do with thousands and thousands of dollars.
The whole process was completed in about two-and-a-half hours. And, honestly, I feel...pretty good. I definitely could have done better but I definitely could have done worse. So, depending on how I scored on the tests, I might become a real-life Jeopardy! contestant. Everyone that has an in-person tryout gets put in the contestant pool for up to 18 MONTHS...so it may be quite awhile before I know for sure. But it was an amazing experience and I had a lot of fun.