Survey Reveals Americans Are Sick of Political Posts on Social Media
It’s social media, not political media.
Whether you’re Team Donald or Team Hillary, a new Pew survey of 4,500 Americans on Facebook and Twitter has found that a good number of us don’t like seeing people make comments about politics on social media.
Maybe going offline until November 9 isn’t the worst idea in the world.
Some of the key findings:
- 37% are worn out by how many political posts they see
- 20% like seeing political posts
- 41% don’t have an opinion
- 59% say they have stressful and frustrating discussions on social media with those people who have different political beliefs than they do
- 39% have blocked people so they wouldn’t have to read their political posts
84% stand by the statement that “people say things when discussing politics online that they would never say in person”
- 83% say that when they see political comments they disagree with they ignore them
One thing is certain: we’ve pretty much had it with this presidential campaign.